It may seem like the warmer months of summer are far away, but before you know it, you’ll be ready to show off your skin. If you’re sick of tweezing, waxing, plucking, and shaving away unwanted facial and body hair, our team at Laser Bar and Spa in New York, New York, offer the best technology and treatment when it comes to laser hair removal.
Our team uses the laser hair removal systems by Cynosure®, a leader in aesthetic technologies and therapies, to make sure you get the best results possible. You can help optimize your laser hair removal results by taking steps to care for your skin before and after your treatment.
Here’s a closer look at laser hair removal and what you can do before and after your session to get the smoothest, silkiest skin possible!
What is laser hair removal?
Cynosure laser hair removal uses advanced laser technology to quickly and safely blast the protein cells in your hair follicles. These cells give your hair the nourishment it needs to grow. Since cynosure treatments are highly targeted treatments, your surrounding skin and tissues won’t be harmed.
Because the Cynosure system is so safe, you can treat most areas of your body, including your:
- Arms and legs
- Bikini area
- Chest and shoulders
Everyone’s needs are different, but on average, patients receive six to eight treatments. The duration and number of treatments you need vary depending on several factors: the area of your body being treated, the amount of hair to be removed, and the color of your skin and hair.
As a rule of thumb, however, most sessions take only minutes. Even larger areas, like your chest or back, typically fit into your lunch hour. Because Cynosure prevents new hair growth, most people have results that last. If you experience some regrowth, this hair is lighter and thinner, making it easy to blast away with quick touch-up treatment.
What should I do before my treatment?
If you’re hoping for the longest-lasting results with the healthiest skin possible, be sure to take these steps before your Cynosure laser hair removal treatment:
- Stop waxing and plucking four to six weeks before treatment: Since laser hair removal works by targeting the root, you want the root in place (NOTE: shaving is okay since it doesn’t affect the root of your hair!)
- Shave 24-48 hours before treatment: This decreases the chances of the laser burning the hair
- Stay out of the sun: Keep your skin away from the sun beginning two weeks before your session since sunburn can make it impossible to undergo treatment
- Avoid bleach and certain medications: Stop any hair bleaching at least six weeks before your treatment since it makes the hair difficult to target, and check with our team about any medications you take since they can affect your skin
- Come to your appointment with clean skin free of makeup or lotion: Certain ingredients in beauty products can impact your laser hair removal results
Following these guidelines helps reduce your risk of side effects on your skin, such as mild irritations, burns, and discoloration. You’ll also get better hair removal results!
What should I do after my treatment?
Once your treatment is complete, it’s important to pay special attention to your skin. Immediately following treatment, your skin may feel sensitive to the touch or slightly warm or irritated.
These side effects typically go away quickly, but you can speed up their departure by following these guidelines for a day or two:
- Avoid direct sun exposure
- If your skin is red or slightly swollen, apply ice
- Avoid rubbing or itching your treated skin
- Use a gentle, unscented, moisturizer with SPF protection
- Avoid wearing makeup after facial treatments
- Take lukewarm instead of hot showers
- Stay away from heated places like saunas, steam rooms, and hot tubs
- Avoid intense exercise that overheats your skin
You’ll also want to wear loose, soft clothes that don’t rub against or irritate your skin. After 24-48 hours, any sensitivity or irritation should subside. You’ll want to continue to minimize sun exposure for a week, then wear sunscreen whenever you head outside.
If you’re ready to say goodbye to unwanted hair in time for summer, contact us at Laser Bar and Spa in New York or request an appointment online today!