Removing unwanted hair from your body is time-consuming and hassle. That’s why so many men and women have stopped shaving, waxing or tweezing, and instead opted for laser hair removal.
Among cosmetic treatments performed in the United States, laser hair removal is one of the most popular, with 3 in 5 people (60%) aged 18-29 reporting that they want to banish their hair in this manner.
Once you decide laser hair removal is for you, make sure to seek out an experienced professional, like those at Laser Bar & Spa, located in the Herald Square neighborhood of New York City. This family-owned boutique practice has specialized in laser hair removal for men and women in more than a decade. The Laser Bar & Spa team offers the following overview of everything you need to know about this amazing treatment.
The many benefits of laser hair removal
What makes laser hair removal so popular and clients who have it so satisfied? Here are three key reasons:
- Precise – You will not do any damage to the nearby skin by directing the laser at dark hairs that need to be removed.
- Fast – You can simultaneously impact various hairs at once in a split-second with every laser pulse. In a second, you should be able to remove hair from an area that is about the same size as a quarter. You will need under 60 seconds to treat a contained part of the body such as the upper lip. For more expansive parts of the body, as with the legs and back, you could need as much as an hour.
- Predictable – Following 3 to 7 sessions, you will generally experience permanent hair loss.
How to prepare for laser hair removal
During your consultation visit, you may need to:
- Go over any prescriptions you take and illnesses you've had
- Talk about reasonable results of laser hair removal, what you can gain, and risks
You will be advised to:
- Reduce sun exposure – If you have a tan, there will be a higher chance that your skin lightens or you have other side-effects, so you want to get the procedure once it has faded. A period of a month and a half with little sunlight prior to the treatment is often advised.
- Do not use electrolysis, pluck, or wax. Disturbance to the follicle caused by some hair removal methods can sabotage the efforts of the laser.
- You will be able to shave in advance of the treatment because it does not damage the follicle or shaft.
To start, your specialist may need to trim the hair in the treatment area. A cooling gel may be applied, as well. The laser’s settings will be modified so that the area of the body, hair thickness, hair color, and skin color are taken into account. The laser penetrates into your skin and targets a few follicles. Based on the response to the test, the practitioner will proceed or reevaluate.
Once the treatment is complete, you will be given anti-inflammatory lotion to relieve any soreness.
Most clients require 3-7 sessions to achieve their desired goals. To set up your consultation, call the experts at Laser Bar & Spa at (646) 386-7562.